Monday, June 14, 2010

Grocery Co-op!

So my grandfather turned me onto this produce co-op in my area, actually it's available in a lot of states. I got online and ordered my standard basket with a 'mexi basket' add-on. On saturday I went to pick it up, not sure what to expect. Holy Cow there had to be over a hundred people there! Apparantly I was the last to know....
So here's what I got in my 'standard' basket $15.00 (pretty great..huh? )
2 coconuts, 1 lg. cantelope, 1 bunch celery, 1lg. romaine head, 5 tomatoes (a little green), 1 bag seedless grapes, 11 redskin potatoes, 10 apples, huge bunch of bananas, lg. bunch geen beans, 2 stalks broccoli, 12 apricots. So far EVERYTHING has been perfect. Even the apricots and melon had great flavor. Obviously it isn't local produce, but pretty neat, just the same.

.....just to give you some scale, this is the onion- they are huge!
and the mexi add-on for $7.50 14 tomatillos, 4 med. avocados, 8 anaheim peppers, 2 Lg. onions, 4 med. jalapenos, 6 limes, 2 garlic, green onions and a large bunch of cilantro (have you noticed the bunches in the grocery store are like half the size lately?)
the non-refridgerated stuff...all lined up nice and pretty, there is something strangely satisfying about having fresh, yummy produce on my counter :) If you want to check it out, their website is bountifulbaskets.org... they have bread and really yummy corn tortillas too.

4 comments:

~H said...

WOW all of that made me really hungry!! To bad everything here is twice that much plus an arm! ahhhh!! Enjoy the yumminess for us!

Just Jana said...

Amy Foote just told me about this so I need to get signed up too! She also gets amazing bread through them really cheap! You can come see me anytime!my home phone is listed so just give me a call!

Tiffany Robinson said...

ok some of that Mexican stuff I have no idea what to even do with..ha!! You must be an amazing cook!!

sonjas.specialties said...

YUM. I was just saying today that I miss your cooking. :D